Users in Marketscape CRM are assigned roles. While the roles themselves are defined in another post, it's important to note that the role to which a user is assigned determines what data is available to them. This article will discuss accessing the Role Management settings, as well as review what options are available.
To access the Role Management settings, click on the Settings link in the left navigation.
A Settings Links & Tools navigation box will appear on the left side of the window (below). Click Role Management in the Territory Management section.
The Role Management screen will load the current list of roles available in Marketscape CRM (sample shown below). Above the table of roles is a New Role button, which allows account administrators to create a new role from scratch. Each existing role on the table can be edited or deleted by using the links in the left column. This table also shows how many users are assigned each role, whether or not a role is set to show up in reports, if the role manages other users, and if the role receives referral credit.
Please partner with your Customer Success Manager or account Manager before deleting any default roles.
Clicking Edit next to a role will display the Edit Role screen. On the top of the image below, there are fields that define the role: Role Name, Role Details, and Role Function. The Role Name allows for the account administrator to change the name of the role to better suit the needs of their organization. The Role Details help define how the role will display in reporting, by determining if the role will receive referral credit or if the role will show in reports at all. The Role Function determines whether or not the role is a manager, which can impact the Dashboard that the user with the selected role is able to view.
The "Permissions" section of the Edit Role screen shows the individual permissions that can be granted or revoked, sorted by category. Each checked box represents a permission granted, while empty boxes display limitations for that role. For most categories, the options are very similar. These options determine if a user can create, edit, or delete records of each category type. They can also determine if the role can export data, see historical notes that other users wrote, or edit unassigned records. Some categories can even have limitations set for viewing, determining if the role can view all records of that type, or only records that are assigned to them.
- By default, Export is checked (or allowed) for most categories. Many account administrators turn this capability off, preventing users from exporting a complete list of contacts, accounts, or referrals. This is often a function left to Administrators or manager roles to assist with upon request of an Account Executive.
- Roles exist for each line of business, allowing account administrators to determine which business line a role services. The Business Line drop-down menu above the Role Management table will toggle to the appropriate set of roles for each business line. Users can be assigned multiple roles, should they service different business lines.
- A user not showing in reports is most often caused by either the role not being set to show in reports, or the role not being set to receive referral credit. Administrator and manager roles often have the referral credit option turned off. Before toggling the role settings, consider whether the role is appropriate for the user, as role settings changes impact all users assigned to that role.
- Edit Unowned gives a user the permission to edit records that have no owner at all
- Edit Unassigned gives a user the permission to edit records that are owned by the Unassigned User
- The general Edit option must be selected for the applicable user's role in order for either of the above to activate
- Keep in mind that changing the Visibility drop-down can limit search results for users that are searching that particular category. If Self Only is selected, the only records that will display on any view will be those that are assigned to the user. Accounts and contacts will show all records for all users, making it possible to search records to request ownership.
- While Marketscape CRM has provided some general permissions for each role, it is ultimately up to the Administrator to ensure that permissions reflect the access that users for each role have are set up properly. For additional questions about Role Management, please contact support by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Defining User Roles
- Adding a New User
- Disabling a User
- Administrators and Views
- Marketer Quick Start Guide: Building a Book of Business [videos]