As users are added to Marketscape CRM, they need to be assigned roles. This article discusses the importance of roles, and provides a description of the default roles available in a new Marketscape CRM environment. Role Management and Configuration provides information on adding new roles and adjusting permissions of each role.
User roles define what a user can see and edit in Marketscape CRM. The role determines what data appears on the user's Overview page. (the first screen that a user sees when logging into the Marketscape CRM web environment). A marketer or liaison would likely only need to see their own data, while a manager or director may need to see the data for their location, or that of their direct reports. Ensuring that a user has the correct role will provide access to the information that is most important to them.
The role also determines what permissions are available to that user. Permissions can restrict what kinds of Account, Contact or Referral data can be added, edited, or deleted. A role also determines who may be able to export data from your Marketscape CRM environment. Lastly, a role may determine if a user has access to approve expenses, or review Account, Contact or Referral ownership change requests.
The following roles are pre-configured in Marketscape CRM:
- Account Executive - This role is most frequently assigned to marketers and liaisons, the individuals out in the field and receives referral credit. This user's dashboard reflects their own efforts, showing their top referring physicians and facilities, as well as their 3-month trend (broken down by week) in referrals, showing Admits, Pending and Non-Admits. Account Executives also have the ability to Add, Edit, and Delete Accounts and Contacts (visible to all users), as well as add, edit and delete their own referrals. If a Contact, Account or Referral is presently owned by another user, they will not be able to edit the record, but they may request an ownership change.
We recommend removing the permission to delete accounts, contacts and referrals for most users. Duplicate entries can be merged together, while deleted entries are not recoverable.
- Office Manager - This role is most frequently assigned to managers that have marketers or liaisons that report directly to them. While the manager may not have a set location (or "office") that their marketers work out of, this role has a better view of the activity of their team on their dashboard. At a glance, the dashboard will show the overall view for the group that they manage, but a mouse-click can dive in deeper to see a snapshot of all of the members of the manager's team. An Office Manager can approve expenses and ownership change requests for their direct reports, as well as assign accounts, contacts and referrals.
- Regional Manager - Like an Office Manager, this role has a higher level of visibility through their dashboard. However, instead of simply having direct reports, a Regional Manager may have multiple Office Managers (or various reporting locations) that report to them. Their dashboard combines the results of their various teams, and mouse-clicks can drill down to the Sales Territory or User level. Also similar to the Office Manager, a Regional Manager can approve expenses and ownership change requests for their sales territories, as well as assign accounts, contacts and referrals.
- Helpdesk Administrator - Some large companies have an internal IT department that can handle some basic administrative tasks within Marketscape CRM and may choose to grant a license to their primary IT team member. This user can help with resetting passwords, or adding and disabling users. Companies that use this role are normally very large, spanning many sales territories and managing hundreds of users. This role is unused by the majority of clients, as the administrative workload is normally very easily managed once the account is set up. To find out if this role is something that is appropriate for your company to use, please reach out to your Client Success Manager.
- Administrator - The Administrator role is for the individual that will oversee all Marketscape CRM use for your team. This role can approve the same changes as the manager roles above, adjust sales territories, manage all aspects of users (such as role assignment, passwords, adding or disabling, role permissions, etc.), change the time out settings of your web and mobile applications, etc. While not necessarily a manager, this user will ordinarily manage the Marketscape CRM environment and be the first point of contact for internal issue resolution. The Administrator's Dashboard shows the entire organization, which allows them to ensure that referrals are coming into the system properly, or spot other issues which may impact other users. Since changes that are made at the Administrator level can be system-wide, we recommend only having one for most organizations, or a small number for much larger organizations. When multiple Administrators exist, the communication between them about system changes is critical to ensure a seamless experience for their team.
Role permissions can be modified by an Administrator. Before adjusting permissions of a role, it's important to understand that any changes made impact all users assigned that role. In some circumstances, a role change may be more appropriate than modifying an existing role.
Article is closed for comments.